Our Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
It’s time to think outside of the box
If you’re thinking, “It’s just macaroni and cheese…”
There are few dishes out there that fit the following criteria:
√ Can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner… or any hour of the day
√ Can be eaten from ages 5 – 95
√ Can be made by almost anyone
Basically, macaroni and cheese can do it all. At Shift, we take our mac and cheese seriously. We pack it with a whole lot of cheese, and whole lot of CRUNCH.
Yep, you read that right – CRUNCH.
For decades, chefs and home cooks alike have strived to find the best way of adding their own flair to this classic comfort food. Attempts have been made to highlight the creaminess of the cheese, the texture of the noodles, the level of comfort it affords… but us? We decided to think outside the box. Why highlight features of an already perfect dish? Why not take a chance and try something new? For us, that means adding a generous dose of crushed up Doritos! Whether you like your mac with a kick of sweet chili heat, or just straight up spicy, there are plenty of cheesy flavour combos to explore.
Are you ready to experience mac and cheese like you haven’t before? Try our macaroni and cheese recipe at home!
Macaroni & Cheese
- 250 g Mornay sauce
- 90 g cheese curds
- 160 g cooked Macaroni noodles
- 20 g crushed Dorito chips (flavour choice up to you!)
- Chives, for garnish
- Heat Mornay sauce in a pot or pan.
- Add cheese curds and stir in well. The mixture should get very stringy.
- Add the Macaroni noodles and continue to stir until they are hot.
- Pour into a dish to serve and cover the top with the Dorito crumbs.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated White Cheddar, (or Gruyere or Emmental)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter. When butter has melted, add flour and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly drizzle in milk, whisking as you add the milk until sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in cheese until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper (and nutmeg, if using) to taste.